Sunday, October 23, 2011

Day 9

This morning, we were greeted by all of our host father's family. All of them. We took pictures and then some of us went on his boat. It was an amazing trip near Amakusa, where we ended up later in the day. We were able to see all 5 of the bridges that take you to Amakusa. We also saw dolphins in the water- it was perfect!

After the boat ride, we went to a buffet-type of sushi restaurant where plates of sushi rotate on a conveyor belt next to the booth. If you want something custom, you call the waitress with a button and she takes your order. It arrives by mini bullet train to your table. It was really interesting and I think would be a great idea for America!

We met the rest of the team and took a bus to Amakusa. We stopped to see a beautiful marina and a giant Octopus sculpture on the way to an amazing hotel on the water. We changed and then went to our Welcome party. We sang all three of our national anthems and then ate and drank. Every time my glass of beer would get the slightest bit empty, a Rotarian was the to fill it up and introduce themselves. At the end of the party, an older Rotarian tied a towel around his head and had everyone hold hands, walk in a circle, and sing the Rotary song. He then came up to me, gave me a hug, and told me he liked me in perfect English. It was a moment I wish would've been captured on film.

After the party, my host family (this is my first home stay by myself) and Stacy's host family went to see lanterns (carvings in bamboo and lit up with candles). It was beautiful and, of course, the evening would not have been complete without Japanese tea.

When I arrived back to the home of my host family, they connected me to wi-fi and I was able to show them pictures on Facebook of my family and a You Tube video of the start of the Crim.

I will be at this house until Tuesday morning (Monday night in the US) if anyone would like to Skype or send emails...I will be able to respond at night or in the morning!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading about your adventure, Erin! Can't wait to see pictures!!! What an incredible experience. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That restaurant sounds like one featured in "Lost in Translation." I can't believe you've already been there 10 days!

    ReplyDelete