Sunday, October 23, 2011

Day 4

Today I went on my first vocational study. The first stop was the public health center. I met two dietitians and we discussed (over tea, of course) the differences in Japan and the US's food guide system. First, while we fund programs to target low income families with MyPlate, they provide counseling to all classes of society. They said that there isn't much difference between rich and poor. Second, their food guide system is more specific than ours (I like it much better). It takes into consideration the size and fat content of foods. For example, we say "three ounces of meat". They say, "one serving of tofu, or one fish, or half a chicken breast.".

I have noticed that Japanese people have a lot of dental issues. At the health clinic, they we're testing for "rotting teeth germ" in the parents of one year olds. It seemed very strange to me.

My second stop was at a hospital with Kotaro. Kotaro was an inbound GSE member and he is one of most host families as well. He is an anesthesiologist and took me into surgery. It was amazing how little security existed and I was able to walk right into the operation and take pictures! I also met with the dietitians at the hospital and the trainers in the fitness center. They have an entire center where people can stay overnight to get health screenings and learn how to have lifelong health.

It was interesting to learn that diabetes and kidney disease are still a problem in Japan even thoug obesity is not.

Things I am still getting used to- very narrow streets and no water at meals (you have to ask).

I am starting to crave western food!

I am also starting to mix my languages. In the midst of trying to speak Japanese, I am remembering (and wanting to use) French phrases that I haven't thought about since 11th grade!

No comments:

Post a Comment