Monday, October 24, 2011

Day 10

Today was an amazing day...definitely a highlight so far. I am still in Amakusa and I don't want to leave! Everything about this area is beautiful-- the mountains, the ocean, the towns...everything!

Today, we left the house and headed to meet the others for a morning of dolphin watching. We saw at least 50 dolphins. It was incredible...I have great video of the dolphins near the boat.

After dolphin watching, we went to a pearl farm where we each opened and oyster to see if there was a pearl inside.

Before I go any further, have I mentioned how spoiled I am on this trip? I never have to worry about where I am going or what I am doing. After the first 5 days, I stopped looking at my itinerary because I knew things would be like Addy pushing Bo and Ruby outside. The Rotarians tell us what to do and when to do it and I dont have to think about a thing. I also don't have to do my own laundry, cook my own meals, straighten my own shoes by the door, or drive myself anywhere. It is going to be serious culture shock when I get home.

To continue, the pearl factory is making each of our pearls into a necklace as a gift. Wow!!!

After, we went to lunch. I had delicious ginger pork.

We then went to the hot springs footpath. Laying in the sun with my feet in the hot water...I could've taken a nap! Then, we went to a pottery shop where everything is handmade and hand painted. We visited an old church and drank fresh orange juice. Our final stop was at a fishing company where we saw fish being put on ice...and then into a cooler that ended up in one of our vans. I also have to mention that the fish in the cooler were still flopping around.

After we left the rest of the team, my host father took me on a tour near his house. We went to the market where he introduced me to another Rotarian (half of the time, I feel like I'm on display with everyone here) and explained all of the food to me. We bought a few snacks and he showed me his fishing boat.

We went back to the house and waited for my host family's three children to come home. We had...you guessed it...sashimi from the fish in the cooler for dinner. Don't worry, I took lots of before and after pictures.

I am extremely sad to leave this family. I have promised to email and already told Drew that if their daughter wants to come to the US, we are hosting her. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment