Saturday, October 29, 2011

Day 15

Greetings from Beppu! Today marks the halfway point of our trip!

We left Kumamoto today and it was very sad to leave. I have made quite a few friends since I've been here and starting to become comfortable with my surroundings. Kotaro and Kyoko have posted pictures and videos on my Facebook page if anyone would like to check them out. Also, we have a team blog at http://carolyn-gsejapan.blogspot.com/ with a few more pictures.

I plan to stay in touch with many of the people we met in Kumamoto and, upon my return to the US, I also plan to continue learning Japanese.

Our hotel in Beppu is right on the water and, apparently, a very popular spot for visitors. Carolyn, Stacy, and I are in Japanese-style rooms. When we arrived, our room was set up like a living room with a table and chairs. The best feature of the room is the spectacular view of Beppu Bay from our window! At about 7:30 or 8 pm, the staff come to the room to lay out our mats to sleep.

Stacy and I tried our first onsen last night at the hotel. For anyone not familiar with an onsen, it's a public bath, complete with having to walk around naked. For us North Americans, this is an extremely different experience! We decided to visit the outside bath. It was very beautiful and covered in rose petals. Still, wearing my bathing suit would have been nice. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment