Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Day 27

After I tried to get up to go to the school of the children living in my house, I ended up back in bed not feeling well.  I slept until I needed to go to the lunch Rotary meeting.

At the meeting, I didn't feel good and I told our team leader that I didn't think I could make it through the afternoon's activities.  My heart was racing and I had no strength. 

Stacy sent Dave a text message and he instructed us to take my pulse (which I later realized I didn't do correctly).  At the end of the meeting, we decided it would be best if I saw another doctor.

So, the rest of the team spent the afternoon at the aquarium (owned by my previous host father) while Stacy, the interpreter, and I headed to the emergency room.

After an EKG and an ultrasound as well as navigating my way through hospital paperwork all in Japanese, it was determined that I was still having a reaction to the buckwheat and the doctor would give me another IV drip to get rid of it-- I would no longer have to take the medicine the doctor in the mountains gave me.

It was really funny to watch everyone when I showed them who I got the medicine from (I couldn't read it, it was all in Japanese, but by the look on their faces, I would have guess it said something like, "Mountain Man Doctor").

After an afternoon in the ER, it was determined that it would be best if Stacy stayed with me at my host family's house.  That way, if something happened, she would be with me and, the next day when she went to her vocational day and I didn't, I would still be with my family in case I needed something.  The doctor also mentioned that if I still had symptoms the next day, I should come back for another IV.

I slept the rest of the evening and had some ham and toast (my request) for dinner before going back to bed.  Stacy was sweet enough to sleep on the floor (which was heated) next to my bed for the night in case I needed anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment