Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Day 18

Today I went on the vocational day I was most looking forward to-- a visit with the faculty at Beppu University!  I was able to sit in on an exercise physiology class, a nutrition class (today`s subject was Phytochemicals and Health), and a food preparation class.  It was like I had stepped back into college-- the nutrition class even used the same text book used by Lansing Community College.  The professor of the nutrition class was also my guide for the day.  He lectured entirely in English and I am not certain if that was for my benefit or not.

It seems as though the qualifications for becoming a Registered Dietitian are very similar in Japan, however, the internships they have only last about 4 weeks before they can take their exam.  I also found it interesting that the RDs are required to complete fitness courses as well-- I think that is excellent.

I tried fried oysters today.  They were excellent!  I also got to help prepare the meal the students were focused on in the food preparation class.  They were very excited to have me and many told me they want to travel to the US.

Today, I only saw the rest of the team for about 1 minute.  I did not like going the entire day without  talking to them.  It is amazing how I have come to rely on them to vent about the day, share stories, and speak English! 

No comments:

Post a Comment